Keeping the carpets clean and odor free can be a challenging task, specifically for pet owners. Your little companion may bring mud into the house with his paws or accidentally urinate on your favorite rug. Pet dander is another issue that you may have to face. In order to make the carpet cleaning process easier, here is a step-by-step guide that you can follow. These techniques will not only help to restore the look of your carpet, but also ensure that it smells fresh and pleasant for long.
Removing pet hair from the carpet
A furry pet always sheds hair which may embed deep inside your carpet. To effectively remove pet hair from your floor covering, you can follow these methods –
- For a low pile carpeting, use a vacuum to extract the hair. Moving a damp sponge mop over the carpet can help to collect hair clump. You can pick them with hands and again clean the carpet with a vacuum cleaner.
- Another method is to mix a fabric softener with water and spray it lightly over the carpet. Let it dry for some time and then vacuum.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the carpet, let it stay there for few minutes and subsequently vacuum the carpet. This method will help to eliminate urine odor as well.
Getting rid of urine stains and odor
Foul odor and stains due to pet urine can be removed with the help of following techniques.
- When the carpet is still wet, blot it using paper towels and newspapers. Once it dries up, sprinkle some baking soda over the stained area and let it stay overnight. Next day, pour some distilled vinegar over it and use a vacuum cleaner to extract the remains.
- For the stains that have dried, spray a mixture of baking soda, water and vinegar over the affected area. Let it dry for 5 to 6 minutes and remove the particles using a vacuum cleaner.
- Another effective technique is to use hydrogen peroxide. Sprinkle the compound over the stain and let it sit there for 10 to 15 minutes. Once it dries, clean the carpet with a vacuum.
- You can also create your own natural enzymatic cleaner by mixing water, brown sugar and fruit peel in a jar, leaving it for a period of approximately 3 months. It not only removes stains but also leaves a refreshing fragrance in your carpets.
- To get rid of the unpleasant odor from your carpets, you can also use vodka. Spill vodka over the stained area and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Use paper towels to bloat the carpet and sprinkle baking soda to absorb the remaining moisture.
Other ways to keep your carpets free from bad odors
- Proper ventilation- It is imperative that you have well ventilated home that allows the air to cross easily. It helps the bad smell to escape out rather than remaining trapped inside the fabric.
- Use dehumidifier – High humidity does not allow carpets to perfectly dry because of which the pet urine may remain in the carpet and does not extract out completely. Therefore, it is recommended that you install a dehumidifier in your house.
Cleaning Pet Dander
Pet dander may become a reason for allergies and if not properly removed, it may spread to other rooms as well .To avoid this, you must –
- Always clean the carpet with a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA grade filter which can collect minute particles up to 0.3 microns.
- Frequently use dander removing sprays
- Cover your bedding with allergy free covers.
Opting for professional cleaning services
Sometimes the urine or vomit stains are noticed only when they have dried and start to emit a foul smell. Home remedies may not completely resolve this issue. Thus, it is a good option to hire the services of professional carpet cleaners. A licensed carpet cleaning company uses:
- Steam cleaning technique that helps to remove even the deepest stains from carpet.
- Effective cleaning agents that remove the grime without causing damage to the fabric.
- High speed blowers to completely dry the carpets and make them look fresh, odor free as well as clean.
By using the aforementioned techniques, you can have carpets that are hygienic, clean and free from awful odors.
We, at BMF Carpet Cleaning offer complete carpet and rug cleaning services in Houston, TX. For more information, you can call us at (713) 972 - 5501.