A beautiful looking area rug can significantly add to the décor of your home. It is the perfect spot in any home where children can sit and play games. However, as the area rugs receive a lot of foot traffic, it is important to get them cleaned at regular intervals. It will not only help the rugs last for a long time but also prevent dust mites and other allergens from circulating to other rooms.
Here are some simple cleaning tips to make your area rug look fresh and sparkling like new.
- Vacuum: The most important thing you need to do is regularly vacuum your area rugs. In case you have a reversible rug, make sure you use a vacuum cleaner on both the sides. This will help in the removal of dirt particles that may otherwise get trapped inside the rug and ruin it. However, do not use the vacuum cleaner on the fringes of the rug.
- Clean pet hair: If you have pets at home, it is more likely that their hair get embedded in the area rug. Even regular vacuuming may not be able to pull out pet hair completely. You should use a brush and remove any pet hair left behind after vacuuming. A stiff brush is a good choice as it will clean better.
- Turn the rug every year: The stress spots on the area rugs can be seen in the form of traffic lanes and worn out marks. You can prevent these by rotating your area rug once or twice a year in order to evenly distribute the wear and tear.
- Use cleaning products: It is best to deep clean your area rug at least once every year. If you are using a certain product for the first time, it is better to test it on a small patch of the area rug. This will ensure that it does not cause any harm to the colors or fibers of the rug. In order to clean a large rug, place it on a vinyl or concrete surface and use carpet-cleaning foam on it. Rub the carpet according to the product’s usage guide. Once done, rinse and dry the rug completely before putting it back in place.
- Specific types of rugs: Different kinds of rugs require specific care and you need to clean them accordingly. For instance, handmade rugs need to be cleaned delicately. You should always place a nylon screen over the rug whenever using a vacuum cleaner.
For complete rug cleanings services in Houston, TX, contact BMF Carpet Cleaning. For details, you can call us at (713) 972 – 5501 or visit 3880 Greenhouse Rd. Suite 1, Houston, Texas 77084.